Switch to manual
Switch to Manual is the introductory workshop for camera users who tend to leave their camera set to Automatic modes and therefore don’t unleash the full creativity that your DSLR or Bridge camera can deliver.
In four hours you will learn the fundamentals of exposure by exploring the use of aperture, shutter speed, ISO as well as a number of composition techniques that will take your photography to a new level.
To respond to the COVID19 crisis the first part of the workshop will take place using a Zoom online meeting where we will discuss your camera settings and tips to take better pictures. On the day of the booking, we’ll then head around some of the famous and not so famous Edinburgh landmarks so that you can practice the theory. On the evening of the workshop, we’ll then have another Zoom meeting to review your photos and learn some editing techniques.
In Phase 1 of the Scottish Government Roadmap, we can only accommodate one person (or multiple people from the same household).
- Great for someone who takes photographs on a pre-set mode and would like to learn how to take better photographs.
- Ideal for beginners and doesn’t need any previous knowledge of photography.
- During COVID19 lockdown phases the workshop will be in 3 parts. At 7 pm on the night before the booking, we will have a 1-hour Zoom meeting to discuss your camera and how the settings work. The next morning (the booking time) we will meet in Edinburgh and walk around the city taking photos using social distancing measures. At 5 pm that evening we will then have a second zoom session to review the photos and discuss editing techniques.
- By the end of the workshop, you will have a good understanding of exposure and composition.
- Experience level – New to photography and beginners
What to bring?
- Any digital camera that has an ‘M’ mode. This means that you can manually set the exposure of your camera.
- If you have a long zoom lens then bring it along although it is not vital for the session.
- Ensure your camera batteries are fully charged and consider having a spare
- An empty memory card, we’ll take about 150 photographs during the session.
Cost of workshop is £75 per person (plus booking fee)